Getting Engaged Talking with LGbT organisations
BiReCon is a one day event of day of workshops, presentations, research seminars and activities organised by BiUK and the BiCon 2008 organising team. It will be held as an extra day alongside BiCon, the day before BiCon itself gets started.
Its aim is to provide opportunities to:
* Find out about key issues affecting bi people in the UK today
* Present your organisation’s position on bisexual matters and work with bi people
* Engage in a dialogue between the bi community and major UK organisations and groups
* Take part in workshops on specific issues (mental health, bi identity & relationships, equality & diversity policy)
* Hear about cutting edge research on bisexuality in the UK
Registration costs £30 for the day, or is included in BiCon registration.
(subject to change!)
Morning: (10:30–13:30) – Building Bridges
10:30–11:00 Registration and Coffee
11:00–11:30 Welcome and overview of bi needs
11:30–12:30 Organisations present how they work with bi people
1. Equality and Human Rights Group, Department of Health – Rebecca Lloyd 2. Amnesty – Presenter to be confirmed 3. Lesbian & Gay Foundation – Samantha Days 4. Stonewall – Ruth Hunt, Head of Policy 5. Polari – Lindsay Rivers 6. Mind – Speaker to be confirmed 7. Met Police – Janella McCrea 8. UNISON – Kevin George, Susan Mawhood, Richard Lohman 9. NUS – Katie / Phi 10. The Danish LGBT Union – Miguel Obradors 11. Bi men’s groups – Edward Seeker
12:30–13:15 Break-out groups – meeting bi needs in various arenas (awareness raising, mental health issues, tackling biphobia)
* Mental Health Issues * Awareness Raising * Tackling Biphobia
Afternoon: (14:15–17:00) – Researching Bi Needs
14:15–15:15 Brief research presentations:
1. Visual Methods and Bi Identity – Helen Bowes–Catton 2. Bisexuality and Psychotherapy – Lyndsey Moon 3. Bisexual community events – George Voss 4. Organisational Change, Resistance and Democracy: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Equalities Initiatives in Local Government – Surya Monro
15:15–16:00 Break-out groups – trying out and discussing specific research
* Using case studies for bi training – Rebecca Jones * Alternative research methods for studying Bisexuality – Helen Bowes–Catton * Researching Bi needs – Ron Fox
16:00–17:00 Feedback – where next with bi research?